Summer in Canada

Summer in Canada
It's beautiful!

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Thursday 3 June 2010




See, it’s a rainy day here and I am taking advantage of the opportunity to catch up on my blog. If I don’t get it onto real time soon, I will have some very dissatisfied readers!


Back to Thursday 3 June... Rochester is located in the Finger Lakes district of New York State and so before we left, we wanted to experience at least one of five Finger Lakes. We had planned to take a lunch cruise on Lake Canandaigua (pronounced Cannon-day-ga) on a paddle boat. Unfortunately, when we arrived, the boat was closed for maintenance, so we took a walk along the shore.

No sooner had we started the walk than we came across an area off the shore cordoned off with buoys. Liam explained that this was a “swimming pool” or safe swimming area, complete with a beach and life guards. I found this concept foreign and amusing so I went inside the area for a closer look.

After chatting to some staff, I found out that beyond the square swimming areas is a line of buoys that measures out a mile. To do a training swim was free and so after testing the water which was about 20 degrees C, I managed to talk Liam into doing a long swim with me. We completed a mile swim in 40 minutes and I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially since I have been trying to train in hotel pools that are 10m long or less and getting quite dizzy in the process!

After a hearty lunch overlooking the lake, we left the USA, driving, around the East side of Lake Ontario and back into Canada. Yes, they let me back in at the border and we drove up the St Lawrence River to Rockport in the Thousand Islands area. One shore of the river is USA and the other shore is Canada and the Islands in the middle belong to one of the countries. This area is breath- takingly beautiful and one of my favourite so far on the trip in terms of scenery. There are 1867 islands in this area in the river ranging from the size of a few rocks to 10 miles long.
It really is the playground of the rich and famous. Some of the houses on their own islands are the size of a hotel with smart racing boats, jet skis and floating trampolines parked at the private jetties.

We had found a cute Boat Inn on the shore of the river with a balcony overlooking the boats and the water – our first room with a view!

No comments:

Post a Comment